Friday, January 9, 2015

Druids and Dragons

For Christmas we got a board game called Mice and Mystics. It's a game where the players work cooperatively to win against the story and plot laid out in basically a guide book of instructions.

We called it D&D Lite - it comes complete with game pieces, map tiles, playable characters and 'character sheets', and instructions on what to fight and how the dungeon is supposed to be played out.

After completing the first chapter of Mice and Mystics, some of my friends wanted to play Dungeons and Dragons. We had an experienced DM, but the rest of us had never played. Aside from me, none of them had even really been exposed to it before. Over the last week or so, we made up characters, our DM created a campaign and we played for the first time a few days ago.

I've been interested in the idea of D&D for awhile, but I was never in a situation where I felt comfortable playing it. Our group was excited to play for the first time and we had a lot of fun. I've played video games by myself for the majority of my life, not avoiding D&D and other social gaming gathers due to disinterest, but just an absurdly huge lack of self-confidence and social skills. I pretty much had no friends, and the friends I did have rarely even shared interests with me, so there wasn't exactly a situation where I felt comfortable.

yes I have a cat familiar, I rolled it fair and square

Some of my friends who played really didn't believe that they would have as much fun as they did, but we all can't wait to play again. This was an introductory to future posts about our campaign, linked below!

- D&D Series -
Intro    Ch. 1    Ch. 2    Ch. 3    Ch. 4    Ch. 5

No comments:

Post a Comment