Monday, February 23, 2015

Mislead By Remakes

I get excited about remakes, then subsequently disappointed. To me, an upcoming remake is a chance to play a game that I liked on a newer system with updated graphics. I don't know why it took me so long to realize how big of a lie that is.

none of this applies to pokemon games
they are all the same game remade forever
and that is totally okay

Remakes change the original game. Whether it's for better or for worse is up to the player, but when a company remakes a game, they change things about it. That's part of the whole idea of a remake. Clearly, I'm a little slow on the uptake, because I've only just realized it after playing several remakes over the years.

why isn't this wooooooorkiiiiing

I would be more than happy to pay 40 bucks to play the exact same game on a newer system. I guess game companies don't think that's a great idea, and I mean I guess I can see why, so I guess that's just me.

I wrote a little bit before about how the graphical changes to the somewhat recent 3DS Yoshi's Island remake made me unable to play the game. I'm not really sure what else they changed about the game, since I didn't play it for very long, but I avoided making the same mistake twice. I didn't buy the new remake of Majora's Mask that came out about a week and a half ago.

gasp!

The reason I would have purchased Majora's Mask for 3DS would be because I wanted to play the same game again. I read that they changed quite a few things about it, which bothered me because I'm a stubborn fuddy duddy who doesn't want my old games messed with. I wanted to play Majora's Mask, but if things were changed in this remake, it just wouldn't be the same!

Regardless of whether the changes made the game better or worse, it would be different. The realization that remakes change the original game kind of rocked my world. It was like, I knew all along, but it suddenly made sense to me. I need to stop getting excited about remakes - they just aren't for me.

Then, like a flash of inspiration, the pretty obvious answer came to me.

oh, right

I haaaaave the original game, an N64, and a CRT TV.


My dear old N64, complete with broken reset button.

still not sure what happened to it

And my monster CRT TV.

they don't make them like this anymore... thankfully

This TV was in my living room growing up for I'm not sure how long. I really don't remember. This TV might be from the 90s. I've lugged it around between moves, and it's constantly under threat of not working anymore. One time when we moved, we had wrapped it in blankets and put it in the truck with all the furniture. It wouldn't turn on the next time we had tried, so we applied the first step of ancient technology troubleshooting and hit it several times in different spots. It's working properly... for now. 

I've been playing Majora's Mask for about a week here and there, going between it and MH4U.


It's actually far more comfortable playing it this way. What a simple solution - if I wanted to play this old game again, why not just play this old game again.


It was also an easy way to save 40 dollars.

The graphics for the remake do look very nice, and I'm sure it's not the worst game anyone's ever made, but personally, I won't know. If you've never played Majora's Mask, definitely get the remake because it's a great game. Even though I'm not a fan of the changes I read about, if you never played the original, you won't know the difference anyway, so go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment